ppp

Efforts to convince pon and pppd that defaultroute is enabled have been
unsuccessful.
        I edited /etc/init.d/network as follows:
                !/bin/sh
                #ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
                #route add -net 127.0.0.0
Pon then still returns the error 'defaultroute option is disabled' .
        I dont have less in the basic install so I tried grep defaultroute
/etc/ppp/peers/* which returned:
                /etc/ppp/peers/partyline    and
                /etc/ppp/peers/provider
/etc/ppp/peers/partyline claims to be generated by pppconfig and contains
the following points:   noauth,  connect,  debug,  /dev/ttyS2,  38400,
defaultroute,  noipdefault,  and user wtb.
/etc/ppp/peers/provider contains the following points:  #noauth,  connect,
defaultroute,  /dev/ttyS2, 38400,  and persist.
Pon, Pon partyline andpon provider all return the error 'defaultroute option is
disabled'  .
        In total disgust I decided to reinstall the whole system in the
hope that it would correct any mistakes I had made.  Silly me, now Debian
is so entrenched in my box that it wont accept the lowmem.bin floppy to
start the reinstall.  'disk read error' .   The rescue disk rebooted the
system but used the present files and not the five base disks.
        Is there a way to get all new files related to ppp, pap, and pon/poff
on floppies.  --or is there some other way to rebuild this broken ppp thread in
my machine???      Thanks,    Bill