Re: kernel and modules compiling

On Wed, 12 May 1999, J Horacio MG wrote:

> ~> I also install the kernel using a small shellprogram provided (you will
> ~> need to switch that to executable using chmod +x)
> ~>
> ~> The last thing I do is that I run lilo.
> ~>
> ~> make bzImage
> ~> make modules
> ~> # rm -rf /lib/modules/2.2.5 # Only if you are very sure about this!
>
> I wondered whether that could / should be done.  The prob here is that
> you won't be able to run any other previous kernel, just the new
> compiled one.

Well, that's probably right if you want to use several versions of one
kernel. I've nevery tried that. I am running only one version of a kernel,
and as a backup I have an older kernel version. My lilo.conf looks like
this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5
  label=Linux2.2.5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1
  label=Linux2.2.1

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34
  label=Linux2.0.34
  append="mem=128M"

> ~> make modules_install
> ~> depmod -a
> ~> cd arch/i386/boot
> ~> ./install.sh 2.2.5 bzImage ../../../System.map /
>
> that script is just to copy the image to /boot/vmlinux-x.x.x and
> System.map?  or does it also add the lines to lilo.conf?

Well, actually this script calls only installkernel, see man
installkernel:

       The  new kernel is installed into /boot/vmlinuz-{version},
       a link is made from /boot/vmlinuz to the new  kernel,  and
       the   previously   installed   kernel   is   available  as
       /boot/vmlinuz.old.  If you use LILO, /etc/lilo.conf should
       contain   entries   for   the   images  /boot/vmlinuz  and
       /boot/vmlinuz.old.  ({version} is the  new  kernel's  ver­
       sion.)

Alex.

--
Alexander Schwartz (alexander.schwartz@gmx.net)