Re: Scanners: Compatibility with Linux

On Tue, 11 May 1999, William Denton wrote:

> 1. Where's the SANE webpage - I've tried http://www.mostang.com/sane/
> but it doesn't seem to be there.

 Try again... I can see it there just fine. It's really the best source of
information about scanners and Linux. I did a presentation very recently
about SANE that's on the web now. Take a look at
"http://www.tir.com/~sorceror/sanepres/";. The last page, "Further
Information", has links to other scanner pages, too.

> 2. Should I get USB, Parallel Port or SCSI?

> The SCSI scanners appear to be quite a bit more expensive. USB
> ones are comparable with the parallel port ones, but is the USB
> support in Linux good enought yet?

 Currently SCSI is the only interface that is really supported well under
Linux. There are ony a very few parallel-port scanners supported, and I've
only heard about a couple of experimental USB attempts.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 If all the muscles in your body pulled in the same direction, you
  could lift over twenty tons. But you'd walk funny. - L. M. Boyd