Re: Apps For Debian?

Peter Ludwig wrote:

> On Sun, 9 May 1999, Mitch Blevins wrote:
> > >
> > > Haven't found one yet myself...  I wouldn't mind a decent package... I'll
> > > probably just wait until Wine gets better and run Paint Shop Pro...
> >
> > Gimp will support GIFs.  The capability is just in a separate package for
> > patent reasons.  Install the "gimp-nonfree" package to get GIF and TIFF
> > support.
>
> I actually remembered this after I'd sent the message off, actually the
> main reason I don't use gimp is because when I tried it I couldn't seem to
> do the fine detail work I wanted to do, and also I couldn't place text
> into the image (major lack there as far as web development is concerned!)
>
> Regards,
>         Peter Ludwig
>
> --
One of Linux strong points is the ability of the user to customize and
add to applications via modules or scripting. You should really take a
look at "  http://www.gimp.org/  " The GIMP does have the ability to put
text into images and a lot of other things as well. You will need to
install modules for the other items(there are hundreds). The GIMP will
read gif files with the non-free version installed but I have noticed
that it will not output .gif files. At least on my system ( I do have
both the regular and the non-free versions installed.). I use .png
instead for most of my web page development. Unfortunately linux does
not have a web page development application such as HotDog, Frontpage
etc. There is one under development. I presently use the Netscacp
Communicator 4.51 as my GUI for this and then tweak the source code with
EMACS or the HTML editor in Star Office.
Enjoy the freedom of Open Source Software!
begin:vcard
n:Foster;John
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.advance-computing.com
org:AdVance-Computing Systems;WHQ
version:2.1
email;internet:jfoster@augustmail.com
title:Owner
note:We Build Multi-Processor Computers
adr;quoted-printable:;;Stonetrail Drive=0D=0ASuite  A;Plano;Texas;75023-7223;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;22240
fn:John Foster
end:vcard