Apps For Debian?

As  I am a new user of Debian I have a couiple of Questions as to what
apps to get . I am not a couplete newbie but am still very new ( I know
how to use gzip and tar and can do most basic functions of a *nix
system) Here is my dilema after searching though several different dists
I have come to the conclusion that debian wins.

Now I have a minimally configured box running WindowMaker and I need to
find Replacement apps for my windows junk. Specificaly a Word
Replacement ( I tried WordPerfect but the install blew up at the end)
There doesn't seen to be a .deb package available for it for some reason
in spike of the aliance between debian and corel (same is true for KDE
but i like WindowMaker better anyway). Any Ideas?

Also need something that will make .gifs (Gimp doesn't seem to do this)

I need a good HTML code editor for debian (Been thinking I may just
program macros in emacs but I don't realy want to)

On a side note I will be needing a Database to connect a website to
fairly soon. Any suggestions (I am leaning towards mySQL but I would
like a GUI interface to work in if possiable)

P.S on a happy note
I got Netscape to work Finaly!
and TinTin++ rocks (please include it in a furture debian release. They
are working on it again finally and I would love to be able to apt-get
it as they improve it. Version 2 coming soom:)