Re: xwindows wanted

On  8 May, André Bell wrote:
>>login to your system and type XF86Setup, this will take you through the
>>graphical X setup. After your done you can just type startx to run X.
>
> I type XF86Setup and it says
> bash: XF86Setup: command not found :(
>
> Maybe I need to reinstall debian ???
>
> I'm getting a lot of 'bash: <command>: command not found' messages even for
> stuff that IS in the subdirectories.  Maybe they need to be in /usr to be
> found???
>
> Andre

To run a command that is in the current directory, type './' in front
of the command! By default, the current directory is not in your path.
To check your path, type:

echo $PATH

The path works the same as in DOS, just with a slightly different
syntax. And there is no 'path' command like dos has, just set it as a
normal variable.

About X-Windows, I think that it has not been included in your Debian
install. Assuming you installed from CD's rather than from floppies,
run dselect and install the XFree packages. Don't forget to install at
least one so-called 'windowmanager'; I'm a user of windowmaker myself.
If you only have Debian on floppy disks, then set up your modem (or
ISDN) and prepare for a lengthy download...

--Tim :-)