> > It is done on a per package basis.
> So in that respect it's like rpm. No?
>
> > 'apt-get install exim' will install
> > all libraries that it depends on and
> Doesn't rpm do that too?
>
> > uninstall  all mta's that it conflicts
> > with.
> With or without asking?
>

> > The .deb format is not just a package format it is a database of
> > information about packages, namely version, dependencies, conflicts and
> As far as I know that is the case with rpm too, isn't it?
>
> > recommends.
> That is not a feature of rpm as far as I know.
>

> > Thus when you upgrade your system, dpkg/apt downloads all software
> > selected and dependencies, then sets them up, if there is a conflict it
> > uninstalls what is conflicting, then after everthing is installed and
> > configure correctly, it deletes the downloaded packages so that your
> > system is not loaded down with .deb files.
> >
> > There is nothing like it in existence, it is the superior package format.
> > Forget about popularity for a moment and think about raw technical
> > superiority.  That is the debian format.  You will love it when you try
> > it.
> I heard that it's supposed to be supperior. As a matter of fact that
> is the main reason for me to try Debian (I started out with SuSE and
> am still using it. However I don't like the way they package things
> as it's not compatible to rpm's that I find on the net since they

just to add my .02 euros :- debian has loads more packages in its
distribution that redhat do in theirs, so (hopefully) you shuldn't need
to mess about with (untrustworthy) .rpms from the 'net.

frankie

--
Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is
good

	--Peter de Vries

http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and
links.