Re: Changing ownership for mounted fat partitions

*- On  8 May, Alec Smith wrote about "Re: Changing ownership for mounted fat partitions"
> Take a look at the uid= and gid= options of mount. You can use them in
> /etc/fstab as part of your options for these mounts. For example, if group
> local's gid is 105, you could have a line something like
>
> /dev/hdc1  /mnt/fat32  vfat  uid=0,gid=105,umask=0770   0  0
>
> This would set user to root, group to local and permissions to rwxrwx for
> user and group (if I recall umask correctly).

I would also had the quiet option to the above.  Fat* partitions do not
really allow ownership flags on the files. If a regular user of group
local modifies files it tries to change the ownership flags around and
you will get the 'Operation not permitted' errors.  Setting the quiet
flag will suppress these error messages.  Some programs may still bail
out though so you need be aware.

Brian