Re: Exim + Procmail + Mutt

	Subject: Re: Exim + Procmail + Mutt
	Date: Sat, May 08, 1999 at 04:41:24PM +0200

Quoting J Horacio M G(homega@vlc.servicom.es):
> ~ Exim is kind of like a MTA+MDA in one; to a degree, it does what
> ~ smail+procmail does.
>
> I fear that the "to a degree" bit will be meaningful here.
>
> ~ That in mind, you can uninstall procmail, and have exim do all of your
> ~ mail sorting.  (You'll need take your procmail recipies, convert them
> ~ to exim's language, and stick them in your ~/.forward.)
>
> Just a bit lost here... all I have to do is create an empty ~/.forward
> file, and rewrite my procmail recipes into it?  is that all, or do I
> have to tell exim to look for (and where is) .forward?

Not quite.  The syntax for the .forward file in exim is not the same
as the filters in procmail.  Some think they are easier/better.
Anyway, I would suggest you look into /usr/doc/exim/.  There are doc
files there that will assist you in setting up the forward file and
exim.conf.   We could tell you what/how to do it to make it work but
you will learn a lot more by doing it yourself.

I'm sure you would prefer that, wouldn't you?

You will find that you don't 'have' to use exim as the MDA, you could
make a .forward file that directs all the mail to your current
.procmailrc.  See what you can learn by looking at the docs!