Unicode/Netscape

How does one display a UTF-8 encoded web page in Netscape 4.51?

I can display a mixed language web page OK in yudit using UTF-8 encoding
and the gnu unicode font, but I can't successfully associate this font
with UTF-8 or unicode-2-0 in Netscape's Edit/Preferences/Font setup.

So Netscape just insists on using dumb pseudo fonts for UTF-8 encoded
pages...ugly and useless - no characters past x00FE.

I can get it to display OK in Windows 98 using either Netscape or IE and
an appropriate font.

Am I missing something? How can I do this using Linux/Netscape?

Michael