Re: disk power down

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Bill Wilson wrote:

> Running hdparm is not the only thing to consider.  If you want a real powerdown
> and not a periodic cycle of disk on and off, you must shutdown stuff
> that dings the disk.  When I want to powerdown, I exit all such apps (this
> includes Netscape, ppp, etc) and run my script: snooze on.
> One caveat, I frequently am lazy and neglect to run snooze off, so be warned
> that this may lead to bad habits.

 There are plenty of tips along these lines in the Battery-Powered Linux
HOWTO: "http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Battery-Powered.html";

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no
           God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
                          - Thomas Jefferson