ftp via proxy?

Hi,

We have here a LAN with full of Windows PCs. My secondary PC is the only
Linux machine in the LAN, and it has served well as an intraner server. And
as a toy for myself.

I tried to use apt for installing some new packages into it, but ftp (nor
http) didn't work. My question is how Debian or ftp (or rftp?) should be set
up to get apt using ftp?

The Windows machines use Winsock to get through to internet. Netscape in the
Linux box is somehow able to make ftp connections into internet via the
proxy. So I would like to set up normal ftp command to use the same scheme
as Netscape. How?

Thanks

RAK