Re: X server crash.

> If X can detect that you don't have any valid modes, it obviously can make
> some decisions on what settings are valid for your card - so, why can't X
> just set the values for you?

No idea why it can't. The whole purpose of xf86config is to configure
system the way you want, if you can. It is not much extra work to change a
mode from 1280x1024 to something smaller, if X can not run in that mode
(which still remains a mystery for me, why on my old monitor X refused to
run in 1280x1024 mode, even though it said it was able to. It was 14"
anyway, so nothing above 1024x768 did no good, but still interesting).
If we make X 'guess' what modes to run, we will be on the way to making X
some kind of MS product, where it is "Here is what I can do, take it or
leave it". On the same note, why not have X autodetect the card and set
up all the settings, so an average Joe can go and buy RH CD and brag about
having installed Linux on his computer.
There is some need for user-friendliness, true. But why make everything
too easy? The easier software is to use , the bulkier it is. What would
you rather have, a super user-friendly program that is slow and bulky, or
an efficient fast program, which is a bit complex to confiigure?
Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu
 UIN 12402354