Re: can't login after package installation

Werner Reisberger <wreis@datacomm.ch> writes:

> I tried to install TCL on my machine (hamm) but had to install first
> libreadline and libncurses. I made a fault and tried to install first
> libreadline (with dpkg) the package complained that libncurses are required
> first.
>
> After this installation attempt I wasn't able to login anymore (with
> telnet). The login processes finishes before the prompt is displayed with
> the following error message:
>
>   You have mail.
>   -bash: error in loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open
>   shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Since I can't login I  cannot install libncurses or remove libreadline :[
> There seems to be a bug in the libreadline debian package. If some other
> package is required first the package shouldn't make any changes to the
> system.
>
> I didn't tried to login on the console yet since the machine is remote but
> I suspect the login process will also kick me out. Could someone give me
> a hint how to fix this this problem? I only have a boot disk (prepared by
> copying the kernel) and the debian rescue disk. I suspect I need a real
> boot disk with an own root file system on it.

At the lilo prompt you can use an argument like init=/bin/sash
to get to a working root shell. You probably will have to remount
everything rw.

Maybe later on you want to create a user which uses one of the
emergency "all in one" shells by default.

HTH,

Jens

--
P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At