Re: printing permissions?

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 02:39:21PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> When I do
> cat /tmp/r | /dev/lp1
>
> I get sh: /dev/lp1: Permission denied
>
> It is the same for a normal user, root or lp.
>
> Is that why I get the following message from lpq?
> lpq
> waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
> Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
> 1st    jhspies    317  (standard input)                      854 bytes
> 2nd    root       318  /tmp/r                                855 bytes

cat /tmp/r | /dev/lp1 doesn't work because you're trying to use a
pipe.  Try redirection like this:

cat /tmp/r > /dev/lp1

I don't know why lpr isn't working for you; you sure /dev/lp1 is
correct?  Did you recently change to a 2.2.x kernel?

--
Ian Peters		"I never let schooling interfere with my education."
itp@gnu.org					-- Mark Twain