Re: X server crash.

> 1. hsync in kHz: I choose 31.5: standard VGA, 640x480 @ 60 Hz, as mine is
> a 640x480 STN LCD capable of 256 colors (although the manual says it can
> use external VGA monitor of three types (640x480, 31.5kHz; 900x600,
> 35.5kHz for 256 colors; 1024x768, 35.5kHz for 256 colors).

> 2. vertical sync range: here's the puzzle.  I have no idea what to do.  I
> chose 50-70, 50-90, 50-100, none worked so far.

For the above, you have to either look up your documentation on laptop, or
look around on the net. Those are important, since they are cruicial to
the performance, and if you go over the limit, you can fry something.
Choosing very conservative settings is ok, going over for a little bit is
ok too.
FOr example, my hsync is 31.5-48.5, but I'm using 1280x1024 resolution,
and with xvidtune (great program to tune up your video once you got
something to work) I tuned it up that hsync actually can operate, and
maybe does, at 49.5. Not to bad.

> 3. identifier for monitor definition: no clue what to do.
>
> 4. vendor name of monitor: CTX, I suppose.
>
> 5. model name of monitor: no clue what to do.

Above 3 are not important. Tey are just for your information.

> 6. server: I choose XF86_VGA server.
>
> 7. VRAM: 1024K.

K. Check hte /etc/X11/Xserver file, make sure that path in htere is really
to the right server.
Also, I've noted that in final XF86Setup file, it doesnt put RAM amount.
Like, I have 4M on my card, but in the Device section, I can see htat
VideoRam section is commented out.
SO, you might uncomment it.
Anyway, all of the above will not result in this problem.
No valid modes comes from the fact that resolutions and bpp you want the X
to run at do not match your system's capabilities.
Typically, hsync/vsync and the card type determine what modes you can run.
You HAVE to know hte card name/vendor/model, so you can take  look at the
card database and choose an appropriate one.
The options below don't really matter, they do not determine anything. But
since you don't know what they are, means you dont know what your card is.
You have to know that.

> 8. video card definition: no idea.
>
> 9. vendor name of video card: no idea.
>
> 10. model name of video card: no idea.
> 11. clockchip setting: I ran X -probeonly, and got 28.32  28.32  28.32
> 28.32

I think clock settings get inserted automaticallly ( never had to deal
with them, all my cards were 'Do not probe clock', but I think it's all in
the readme there, how to deal with clock)

> The results: no mode found. I am sure it's one or more of the settings
> that is not set correctly.  Would appreciate any help!  Thanks!

Now. Just follow the procedure on my page to set up the modes from
smallest to largest. For example, make them 320x200 640x480 800x600 or
something like that, and try to start X in 8bpp mode. The above order will
make sure that Xserver picks up the first valid mode, and hopefully you
will get 320x200 resolution. In either case, if you do or if you don't,
you will need to get some info on your hardware, so you can get the most
out of X without frying your videocard by accident.

Andrew
 Andrei S. Ivanov
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu
 UIN 12402354