Strange things happening

Last night everything worked ok - printing too.  Today I could not print.
I get the following

root@Johann(20)$ lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    jhspies    314  (standard input)                      110621 bytes
2nd    jhspies    315  (standard input)                      93333 bytes

and whatever I try, I cannot get linux to print the queue.

Another strange thing happened: today I could not mount either the cdrom
or the dos partition - getting an error message that the filesystems was
not supported by the kernel - a custom compiled kernel - the same one I
have been using for about 6 months now.  I did not alter any kernel
configurations.

In the end I re-installed the kernel image (2.0.34) from the hamm CD
after enabling the kernel to read the cdrom using modconf.

1. Can anybody explain to me why such things happen
2. How can I print the queue?

Maybe it is because I boasted about Linux's stability as much better than
Windows95 or 98 on Sunday.  I think my Windows 3.1 was more stable than my
linux the past few months - since I upgraded to Debian 2.0 from 1.3.1.

Can the problem be that the some files on the hard drive(s) was damaged
without linux reporting it?

Johann
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "If it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live
      peaceably with all men."        Romans 12:18