Sendmail for dial-up

Hi guys,

I'm using Potato with the latest sendmail.  Everything works except for one
annoyance:  when the daemon is first ran, and anytime anyone sends mail, it
takes an extremely long time.  This is a dial-up machine, so it doesn't have
it's own actual domain.  A long time ago, I had configured sendmail, using
sendmailconfig, so that it worked just fine without these extremely long
pauses or spawning of extra sendmail processes just to send mail.

Any suggestions for the best way to configure sendmail for a dial-up box?

Thanks!
Randal
---
{ in fact, this is twice in a row
{ that the angels have slipped through our landslide
{ and filled up our garden with snow