Re: Exim and fetchmail

Jake Bishop <jak3b@pacbell.net> writes:
> Hello,
> I am having a problem getting exim and fetchmail to work.I just
> installed Slink.I used option #2 in the
> eximconfig menu. when I try to send a message with mutt it only goes to
> /var/spool/mail/jak3b.
> when I try to use fetchmail I get this message: 1 message for jak3b at
> postoffice.pacbell.net....etc etc
> reading message 1 of 1 .fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient
> address 'jak3b@localhost'
> fetchmail: can't even send to jak3b!
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
> postoffice.pacbell.net
> fetchmail: Query status=10.

I had this problem too, and fixed it by adding "localhost" to my
local_domains setting in /etc/exim.conf:

local_domains = scratchy:localhost

This is the variable which specifies which hostnames should be treated
as aliases for the local host.  (scratchy is the name of my machine.)

I regard this as a bug in the installation procedure.  Either
fetchmail should deliver to "user" (without the "@localhost")
or exim should be configured by default to accept such mail.

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu