Re: diskless box: fanless too ?

On Tue, 4 May 1999, John C. Ellingboe wrote:
>Michael Stenner wrote:
>> I disagree that the cpu would need a fan - I used to run a very old P60
>> (a REALLY hot chip) without a fan (fan kept breaking...) and it was
>> toasty but caused no problems.  If you choose a cpu that runs cool, you
>> should be OK.  You can also look into thermoelectric (or Peltier)
>> coolers -- no moving parts.
>
>You still have to get the heat (cpu + Peltier device) out of the box.
>Even though the cpu will be cool, when using a Pelier device the box
>will become quite toasty.  One of the heat pipe devices would be a
>better choice.  There you would have a heatsink plate mounted on the
>cpu and a tube running out side the case to a heatsink.

Admittedly, I may not be as cautious as I should be about these things,
but it doesn't seem to me that the box would necessarily get
dangerously hot.  When I was doing it, I left the box open, but as I
said, that was a VERY hot chip.
	I've never heard of a "heat pipe", but that sounds quite nice.
I'm a little confused: is it a true pipe (i.e. with air inside) that
relies on convection? or is it something like a copper rod?

	I must also say that the suggestions about controlling the
Peltier cooler are quite good.  You can buy a ready-made device for
cheap.

					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305