changing default LANGUAGE

HI!

I managed to change the default language for the shells via the LANG
environment-variable, that I put into /etc/profile and ~/.bashrc.

When I start apps that support NLS from there they come up the way
they are supposed to in my language, but starting them from the Panel
of KDE 1.1 (or via mime-assoziation) they don't.

What do I have to change to make that work? I have set the languge
in K-Controlcenter but that does not change it.

TIA
Thorsten Manegold