From: pplaw <pplaw@pcisys.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 10:20 PM
Subject: how do i get past "install.bat" file

> hi,
>
> i'm trying to install, boot, and configure debian linux.
>
> onto my hard drive (partitioned into "c:" and "d:") i've downloaded the
> required files (resc1440.bin,drv1440.bin, base2_1.tgz, root.bin, linux,
> install.bat, and loadlin.exe).  i type "install."  when prompted for the
> name of the kernel image file, i type "@file."  the computer goes
> through several screens of information, "resting"  with my "dos/cpu"
> configuration and then a "c:\>" prompt.   (what has it done at this
> point?)

i assume you're planning on installing debian on drive d?? safe assumption i
suppose... i find installing from a dos partition to be extremely easy.

> i guess my next step is to "boot" the "install"?  if so, how is that
> done?  if not, what do i do next.  (if i hard/soft boot the computer, it
> just boots into dos.)

make sure all the installing files are in the same location (same folder,
same drive obviously). boot to plain old dos and cd:\whatever to thedir you
put the files in and just type install.bat. (to make it easier i stick all
the files just in c:) i dont recall being asked for a kernel name...but i
think if i was i would just hit enter. if you don't specify a kernel name
lilo will use whatever kernel  it finds on the same drive. (i think!)