Re: debian-user-digest Digest V99 #802

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 09:11:57AM -0700, weim0404@kettering.edu wrote:

>  It's not exactly what you are looking for nor perfect but man -k keyword or
> man --apropos keyword already is similar to what your describing.
>
> doug

As a user who's new to linux, I'd just like to add my $0.02:

The "man -k" and "apropos" commands are a good idea sorely lacking in
execution.  For example I type "man -k email" and get audiosend and showaudio
as results.  Huh?  Not a big deal, I'll just keep searching.  Trying "man -k
e-mail" gets nothing, while "man -k mail" nets a list of 72 programs, only two
of which are what I'm looking for, mutt or elm.  _I_ don't think any of the
search terms entered were unreasonable, yet only a specific one returned the
desired result, and that amongst a large amount of noise.

I don't know how the command works, but it seems to me that it depends too
much on what the author of the man page enters as keywords.  Perhaps there is
a program that would allow for a searching of all the text in all the man
pages of a system (though that would be probably be dreadfully slow).

However I do understand the point that someone else brought up that you can't
expect to sit down and instantly become productive at a new OS.
Unfortunately I think the current setup makes learning linux more difficult
than it has to be.

MBG

--
"Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some.  Much bigger than
that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real "wow,