Re: Lilo F4A

On Tue, 4 May 1999, John Galt wrote:

 :
 : Most certainly, the "F" is for floppy boot, the "4" is for booting from
 : /dev/hda4, and the "A" is for showing all bootable partitions on /dev/hda.
 : The only drawback to this prompt is that you are strictly limited to
 : /dev/hda--no booting off /dev/hdb at all.  It was in the docs the last
 : time I checked (I was running bo at the time), AFAIK the "F4A" type lilo
 : is a Debian-only degenerate, usually implying that you pressed shift too
 : early in the process in 2.x distributions.

Nope - the prompt has nothing to do with LILO - it's generated by mbr,
from the mbr package.  Docs in /usr/doc/mbr .

mbr is installed when you press "Y" in response to "Install a boot block
on the first disk?" during the initial install.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD