Unstable help.

As with another user I've had problems with unstable.
I killed X windows with 3.3.3-1, and can't seem to
get it back with 3.3.2.  XF86Setup just blanks the
screen; returning to the tty1 I just find a segfault
message.  How much do I need to downgrade? Advice?

Secondly, on my laptop, I lost login access (users are
'UNKNOWN') and haven't been able to boot with the root
disk.  (Terminates "Unable to open console.") Even
Ctrl-alt-del just reports "You don't exist, Go away.".
(See my previous message.)  Help please...

--David