ppp

Can someone give me a hint as to how to troubleshoot ppp.  I had it dialing and
negotiating but have accidently or otherwise killed all
action.   When I try pon I get the message that pppd does not have defaultroute
activated in /usr/sbin/pppd.   /usr/sbin/ pppconfig has
defaultroute activated.??   My problem seems to be that ppp has to many
associated files and I have no sense of hierarchy.  Which file comes first
and which drives which.   I'm trying to work with setserial, pppconfig,
ppp/options,chatscripts,resolv.conf,pap.secrets,init.d/network,pppstats,
pon,poff,ppp.log,/etc/ppp/peers/provider,chat -v,chatscripts/provider.
Thanks,     Bill