Re: nis don´t work properly

Per-Olof Widstrom wrote:

>  I have been trying for a whole day to get nis to work, but it will not. I
> have a minimal LAN with two computers. They both are running slink; the
> server has been upgraded from hamm (2.0).
>
>  I have managed to make ypcat work, it is also possible to finger. But
> when I try to login on the nis-client with my user pow the xconsole window
> tells me:
>
>  May  1 17:06:21 lazy login[571]: no shadow password for `pow' on `ttyp2'
>  May  1 17:06:23 lazy login[571]: invalid password for `pow' on `ttyp2'
>
>  I have no idea why, I have tried many things. On the nis-server in
> /var/yp I have done 'make' 'make passwd' 'make group' 'make shadow'
> 'make', I still don´t get it to work.

You say ypcat works but what do you see with ypcat? Do you see the user record for
pow? Does this record have a password field which is not '*'? I'm guessing the problem
here has to do with shadow support in NIS. I don't use shadow support in my
configuration so I don't know what problems may be there.

> When I was ready to give up I changed the password for pow on the
> nis-client with yppasswd, then it worked, and I could change it on to
> server to with out any problems. But that isn´t necessary in a working
> system, is it?

Doing this most likely updated the passwd map and changed the entry from '*' to an
actual password. However, this would not be desirable since you want to keep your
passwords in shadow, not passwd.

>  I have added +:::::: in passwd, +:::::::: in shadow and +::: in group and
> in /var/yp/nicknames I´ve added 'shadow   shadow.byname', just in case. I
> have done Somme on both the nis-client and the nis-server.
>
>  If I restart the nis-server the console on the nis-client print out this
> message:
>  May  1 18:42:27 lazy icmplogd: destination unreachable from
> supreme.pow.com [192.0.0.7]
>  I don't know why, after all ypcat works, as well as finger.
>
>  The nis-clients name is lazy and the server is supreme (but right now I
> don´t think that it is so very great).

The thing is to see if you can get back correct data from 'ypmatch pow shadow.byname'.
If this works then your server is doing its job. Do you have an entry in
/etc/nsswitch.conf with:

shadow: files, nis

in addition to the passwd: entry?

--