? using "make-kpkg" for modules ?

> You need to do some tweaking to get sound support to work properly as
> a module.  If you don't do anything special, a read request on
> /dev/audio tells the kernel to try to get sound support, so it loads
> the 'sound' module.  Since there's no module installed that can
> provide actual audio data, the read fails.
>
> My /etc/modutils/sound contains:
>
> post-install soundcore modprobe -ks sb
> post-install sb modprobe -ks adlib_card
> options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
> options adlib_card io=0x388
>
> This has modprobe install the sb module when the kernel loads the
> soundcore module, and then loads the adlib_card module after that.  It
> also specifies correct I/O, IRQ, and DMA information for the modules,
> which is essential for them to work correctly.

I don't have that file... will creating it do the trick as far as sound
goes? More importantly, hpw do I know that my system is correctly using
modules? Is there a way to check? And why didn't the make-kpkg
--revision=custom.1.5 module_image command produce a .deb file to
install? Was that even needed? I understand the idea of modules, but the
implementation is far from clear, and I've spent a long time wading thru
documentation. Perhaps I just haven't been looking in the right places?
Finally, I have found that to do the steps required to compile the
kernel, I need to be root the whole time. I was under the impression
that I shouldn't have to be for every step, and that 'fakeroot' should
be used for the steps that require root permissions. This didn't work...
Although I have compiled several successful kernels (all w/o module
support), I have had to do it all as root.

Thanks again,

Rich