? using "make-kpkg" for modules ?

Hello all,

I have compiled my kernel using 'make-kpkg' before and found it
relatively painless - as long as I didn't use modules.. Today I tried to
set up module support for my kernel and "modulize" a bunch of stuff, and
I'm having some problems. First, from reading the
/usr/doc/kernel-source-2.2.1/debian.README file, I thought that
'make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.5 kernel_image' was supposed to take care
of the modules. So I did that, installed the .deb package, and rebooted.
Now printing works (I'm pretty sure that lp should be a module now), pon
works (same for ppp support) but sound does not. So I see elsewhere
buried in the documentation that you're also supposed to do 'make-kpkg
--revision=custom.1.5 module_image' I did that, and it spent a couple of
minutes going through the routine, but no modules .deb package was
created (that I could find...). Now if I try that command again, it goes
through a very quick program listing and stops as if it's done... but
still no .deb package... My kernel IS smaller by a couple hundred bytes
now...

Here is what my /proc/modules file says:
ppp_deflate            38516   0 (autoclean)
sound                  54484   0 (autoclean) (unused)
soundlow                 208   0 (autoclean) [sound]
soundcore               2084   3 (autoclean) [sound]
bsd_comp                3468   0
ppp                    17712   2 [ppp_deflate bsd_comp]
slhc                    4136   1 [ppp]
lp                      4268   0 (unused)

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance...

Rich