Re: X, netscape

Anonymous Coward wrote:

> now i am getting very, very annoyed.  with all the talk about how stable
> etc. debian is then i try it and all the claims are invalid.  first with
> the default everything on X etc. mozilla comes up with errors (actually
> they are X errors, like "error invalid ButtonX call" etc. you get the
> idea).  on mozilla also i can not hit enter in the location box to goto

	How stable Debian is depends largely on the kind of software you
use. Debian as a server OS (without any of the end-user type of
software) is very stable.  You are attempting to use software that
is either still under heavy development and *not* ready for
primetime (Mozilla) or is known to have problems that haven't been
fixed by the commercial owner (Netscape).

> a page, i must do file:open.  so then i use dselect to get a newer
> version of navigator to see if it'll solve the problems i find out i
> have to d/l the archive i do that ( i d/led ver. 4.51) and installed it
> etc. only to get an error about missing libraries when netscape starts
> up.... i've had library errors on the other distro's so this was one
> reason i wanted to try debian.  from expierence i know that ldconfig
> sometimes works although i have no idea why (it worked on SuSE one time
> when i upgraded GTK).  is this a normal thing on slink (an official
> CD-ROM ordered from cheapbytes)?  will upgrading X help?  man how do i
> fix these errors?  man without netscape linux really is useless for a
> home user

	Most distros, I suspect, don't install the old libc5 library by
default.  Either use the Debianized package of Netscape from slink
(maybe only potato?) which is libc6, or download the libc6 version
from ftp.netscape.com ('unsupported' dir tree, and use the old
netscape4 installer), or install the libc5 stuff from the oldlibs
section in dselect (libc5, xlib6, xpm4.7) to get the libc5 version
you already have working.
	Using the Debianized package is strongly encouraged.  It isn't
easy, though, because of a number of 'base' packages that need to
be installed first.  Select the package which has the Netscape
binary (communicator-smotif-451, for example) and use the
subsequent dependency screen to select the other packages that are
needed.

--
Ed C.