basic question on splitting partitions

Sorry if this question is too basic.  I've been following several
newsgroups for a while and haven't seen this situation addressed.

I have a 3.2 GB hard drive and 16-bit addressing, so it's partitioned
into a C drive of about 2 GB and a D drive for the rest of the space.
I'd like to keep Windows 95 on the C drive while I work on installing
Linux on D.

>From reading the installation instructions it sounded like I should
create a Swap partition within "D."  So I created a system floppy with
the FIPS directory on it.  Upon execution it displayed the partition
table showing partition 1 consisting of 2047 MB and partition 2
consisting of 1047 MB.  It asked which partition to split, and I chose
"2."  The resulting error message said:  "Can't split extended
partitions.  FIPS can not yet split extended DOS partitions."

What should I do?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Christensen