Re: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

I just had this happen to me the other day.  It could be several things.  I haven't ruled them out completely though.  First, it could be that you have a bad drive or a bad controller. My computer was setup with two 6.2GB ide drives. The first drive was on the first controller and the second drive was on the second controller.  When I got that message I replaced the drive and reinstalled debian.  I then recieved that message a few minutes later but this time on the second drive I had installed. I powered my computer off and came back days later.  Before powering it up this time I re-checked all the internal cables to make sure everything was secure and they were. But I haven't gotten that message yet(3 weeks later).

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:10:30 -0400
From: Steve Rothanburg <srothan@soc.lib.md.us>
To: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

I just had a server lock up with the same messages on a slink (2.0.36 kernel) machine.
Well, ok just the first 2 messages. I came in this morning and the last two messages
on the console were:
hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: DMA disabled

I could still ping it, but that's all I could do.

We have 5 machines using the same hardware. Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard
(http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/se2/index.html), 384 megs of ram, 3com 905b
network cards, IBM -DTTA-371010 harddrive.

--
John Rizzo                      Work Email: jrizzo@iconnet.net
NJIT A.C.M. President		Personal Email: follower@acm.njit.edu