How to get mod_perl into Apache?

I'm running a 2.0 system, and I need mod_perl.  However, there does not
seem to be a source or binary package under hamm for this.

I have tried getting the hamm Apache source package and the mod_perl
tarball (from perl.apache.org), then building mod_perl (telling it to
not build apache), then doing debian/rules binary in the Apache source
directory.  Everything seems to go OK in the respective builds, and I
can install the resulting .deb, but still no mod_perl in Apache.  I know
there are mods to the Configuration file that are supposed to be done,
and I've changed both the Configuration file under debian, and under
src, but neither seems to give me what I want.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?  TIA.