custom compile xfree86 deb package

I want to build a custom xfree86 debian package from the debian source
of said package.

Is there a guide on how to go about this?  Particularly, I want to
compile with egcc and full-optimization options, and also allow
threads (so my xlib will be "thread-safe").

The source is massive and daunting, and I don't really know where to
begin.  Could someone offer some hints, please?

Thanks
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,