SPARC Ssystem Server 630MP - Internet Server? or 80lb. Boat Ancher

Greetings,

I have recently aquired a SUN SPARC 630MP which I have been able to clean up, repair, and make fully functional.  My desire was to install Linux on the unit and adapt it as an Intranet/Internet Web Server.

The unit has 4 CY605c processors, 64mb RAM, CDROM, Tape Drive, 3 Hard drives totalling 7gb, two serial (a and b) ports, and an ethernet interface.  It is lacking a keyboard, monitor, and display adapter.

I purchased RedHat 5.2 for SPARC to install on it.  Booting from the CDROM is successful and gets me to the point of the SILO prompt.  Up to this point everything is running smoothly.  As I am attempting an install through the 'console' (serial a) port using a Windows's based station as a dumb terminal (you know... the one thing that Windows is probably most appropriate for) through PCPlus, I pass the command prompt a "Linux Serial" entry which is what is suggested by the RH manual.  At the end of this is a listing of the process as it was captured through the console port.

The system sits in a limbo state once the following line is displayed:

"Freeing unused kernel memory: 40k code, 4k data"

There is continued CD activity after this line pops up which lasts for approximately 10 to 15 seconds afterwards, then the unit just sits there.  I have determined that it is not locked up as I can send a control key of any kind to it and it pops me back to the 'ok' prompt with a line that states "type 'go' to resume".

Attempts to work with RedHat have failed as they won't answer any questions about a VME based machine, which this is and which they state is not supported.  I have however understood that while VME is not supported, everything else is compatible and should work given I do not have any VME interface cards installed nor do I intend too.  The unit also has an S-bus built in.

The latest version of the Soloris OS to support this particular unit ended after version 2.5.1. In the event that I can not get Linux to run on this machine, I would like to install Solaris 2.5.1 in place and put Apache on the unit and just leave it at that.  Only problem is, SUN no longer distributes that version and I am at the mercy of trying to find someone that may have that on CDROM (the unit has no floppy drive either).

So.... this leads me to the above subject line.... Internet/Intranet Server?  Or just another boat anchor (such as has been the case with my old Atari 800, two Apple Lisa machines, ummmmmmm numerous Apple II's,..... let's see... oh... a bunch of 'Franklin' units.... and who could forget that gym floor full of Indy manufactured Sycor equipment!... the communictations system of the future (well... back in the 70's)).

Anyway, thought this system might be worth while as just a dedicated web server... hope I can still us it for that purpose.

I might express here that the unit runs just fine with the accompanying Solaris 2.1 and is accessible through FTP over the ethernet.  So I know the unit will function just fine if I can get some derivitive of Linux or Solaris 2.5.1 installed on it.

I would appreciate anyones help out there that could lend to a successful installation of either of the two OS's I have mentioned.  In the absense of that.... I will also reluctantly welcome (nashing of teeth) any statements that would clarify why this system isn't worth the effort and is afterall... just a boat anchor.  Oh... and one other thing... can it be upgraded?..... I know.. I know... but aren't we all die hards when it comes to nurturing our digital babies?

Thanks much all,

Lance

---------------CAPTURED CONSOLE OUTPUT DURING RH5.2 INSTALL PROCESS---------------

screen not found.
Can't open input device.
SPARCsystem 600MP Series (4 X CY605C), No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.5, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #4200294.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:10:b4:4f, Host ID: 71401766.

SBus slot f lebuffer dma le esp
SBus slot 0
SBus slot 1
SBus slot 2
SBus slot 3

Boot device: /iommu/sbus/dma@f,81000/esp@f,80000/sd@3,0   File and args:
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
Type  help  for more information
<#0> ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/dma@f,81000/esp@f,80000/sd@6,0:d   File and args:
SILO

Welcome to Red Hat Linux!

You have just booted to the SILO prompt on a SUN4M SparcSystem 600.

You probably just need to hit "Enter" and you will have the install
loaded soon.

boot:
Uncompressing image...
PROMLIB: obio_ranges 1
root child is ffd5df54
Found CPU 0 <node=ffd700b4,mid=8>
Found CPU 1 <node=ffd70280,mid=9>
Found CPU 2 <node=ffd7044c,mid=10>
Found CPU 3 <node=ffd70618,mid=11>

         .u$e.
       .$$$$$:S
       $"*$/"*$$
       $.`$ . ^F
       4k+#+T.$F
       4P+++"$"$
       :R"+  t$$B
    ___#       $$$
    |  |       R$$k
   dd. | Linux  $!$
   ddd |  Sparc $9$F
 '!!!!!$       !!#!`
  !!!!!*     .!!!!!`
'!!!!!!!W..e$$!!!!!!`    2.0.35
 "~^^~         ^~~^

PROMLIB: Sun Boot Prom Version 3 Revision 2
ARCH: SUN4M
TYPE: Sun4m SparcSystem600
Ethernet address: 8:0:20:10:b4:4f
SRMMU: Using VAC size of 65536 bytes, line size 32 bytes.
Found 4 CPU prom device tree node(s).
IOMMU: impl 0 vers 1 page table at f0280000 of size 262144 bytes
sbus0: Clock 20.0 MHz
dma0: ESC Revision 1
zs0: console I/O
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 39.94 BogoMIPS
Memory: 62376k available (1060k kernel code, 1760k data) [f0000000,f4000000]
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
Linux version 2.0.35 (root@homer.redhat.com) (gcc version egcs-2.90.27 980315 (e
gcs-1.0.2 release)) #1 Wed Oct 14 10:16:12 EDT 1998
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Sparc Zilog8530 serial driver version 1.18.2.15
tty00 at 0xffedd004 (irq = 44) is a Zilog8530
tty01 at 0xffedd000 (irq = 44) is a Zilog8530
tty02 at 0xffeda004 (irq = 44) is a Zilog8530
tty03 at 0xffeda000 (irq = 44) is a Zilog8530
keyboard: not present
Sun Mouse-Systems mouse driver version 1.00
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
esp0: IRQ 36 SCSI ID 7  Clock 25 MHz CCF=5 Time-Out 167 NCR53C9x(esp236) detected
ESP: Total of 1 ESP hosts found, 1 actually in use.
QPTI: Total of 0 PTI Qlogic/ISP hosts found, 0 actually in use.
scsi0 : Sparc ESP236
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST41600N SUN1.3G  Rev: 0040
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
  Vendor: CONNER    Model: CFP4207S  4.28GB  Rev: 1420
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST1480   SUN0424  Rev: 5728
Detected scsi disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-ROM CDU-8012   Rev: 3.1e
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 3 SCSI disks total.
esp0: target 1 [period 200ns offset 15 5.00MHz synchronous SCSI]
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2676846 [1307 MB] [1.3 GB]
esp0: target 3 [period 200ns offset 15 5.00MHz synchronous SCSI]
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8388608 [4096 MB] [4.1 GB]
esp0: target 4 [period 200ns offset 15 5.00MHz synchronous SCSI]
SCSI device sdc: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 843284 [411 MB] [0.4 GB]
sunlance.c:v1.9 21/Aug/96 Miguel de Icaza (miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx)
eth0: LANCE 08:00:20:10:b4:4f
Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 sdb8
 sdc: sdc1 sdc2 sdc3 sdc4 sdc5 sdc6 sdc7 sdc8
VFS: Mounted root (iso9660 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 40k code, 4k data