Re: Ping run-away

> Dean wrote:
> >
> > Just got debian up ( bare bones) and went to internet and to check I
> > first pinged IPS, then debian.org and ping wouldn't stop. Finally got
> > off internet by poff in another vc, ping cont. to try to send. Any
> > suggestions on ping? Also what can I do to stop a run away like this?

Kelly Corbin:
> Try ctrl-c that will kill it and many other applications for that matter.

If that doesn't work, switch to another VC, find out the process number
using "ps" or "ps x", then "kill number". If that doesn't work either, you
can "kill -9 number", but that's a very rough way to shut down a program
(with the normal kill, which is called `TERM', the program has a chance to
catch it and clean up after itself; with -9, otherwise known as `KILL', the
program just drops dead). If you have to do that to a program, have a look
around to make sure it hasn't messed up any of its files or anything.

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently