Circuit design software?

Afternoon all.
Is there any circuit design software for Linux?
I need to find a replacement for the program that my prof. wants me to
use....and I would hate to go back to windows every time I wnt to work on
it, since wine will not do the sim.
I am trying to build a dedicated Windows machine, but as far as windows
installation goes....I've spent more time and nerves on it than when I
installed Deb......someone tell me please why that OS is considered
'userfriendly'??! Please, I reallly want to understand.

Anyway,
 TIA,
   Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov