Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

Hmm, if Linux isn't going to provide sound configuration on the initial
install, then why not note that on the main package selection screen
that comes up on a clean install and give directions on how to recall
the initial package selector once sound has been configured.  This would
help people who might be able to follow a menuconfig of the kernel and
get sound support installed, but who have no idea which of the many
sound related .deb's to install.  Allowing the end user to run the
package selector (and givng brief directions on the same in the menu)
will mean that it will be easier for people to run Linux successfully
the first time, thus giving another person a reason to _continue_ using
Linux.

I know from experience that when you intially install Debian you get the
choice to include Sound Support Files, but nothing is said about needing
to recompile the kernel until dselect glitches on installing GOM.  For
someone trying to migrate from the Microsoft world this can be more than
a bit confusing.

- BOHICA

David Webster wrote:

> During the drivers installation phase there is no facility for
> installing sound card info.  I find this quite odd since sound is as
> ubiquitous in computing today as ethernet and TCP/IP.  The failure to
> not allow us to configure sound at the outset forces us newbies to go
> into the daunting task of recompiling a kernel which I have yet to do
> successfully as something always seems to get mucked up!!
>
> This is REAL shortcoming for Debian and I assume sound configuration
> will be part of the base modconf come release 2.2??????
>
> By the way I have used both the brute force kernel recompile/install
> secquences out of the HOWTO's and the Debian Kernel-Package approach,
> both to dismal results.

        Sadly, I don't think sound config will ever be handled in the
initial install anytime in the near future.  Sound is already
difficult to configure and with the 2.2 kernel its gets even a
little *more* complicated, because part of the sound config has
been moved from the kernel to text config files in /etc/modutils/*
(or etc/modules.conf).  Because of this, and the fact that sound
isn't essential for the initial install process, its not going to
be handled by the Debian installer for some time into the future.

        As for your difficulty compiling a kernel, why don't you post
the
problem you are having, including all error messages that occur,
to this list?  Someone might be able to help you.

--
Ed C.