syslogd refuses to run

Hi Debian users,

I have spent quite some time on the following problem:

We are trying to install debian 2.0  on a IBM Netfinity 7000 system
having everything installed on a raid 5 disk system using a
DAC960PJ controller.

It's not easy to do an install on a system like that, so it was
first installed on a separate disk, then copied to the raid
disk, and then the "non raid disks" were removed.

We are using kernel 2.1.126 and the Mylex drivers (2.1 Beta) from
www.dandelion.com.

It runs.... BUT. I must have misunderstood something because:

It panics randomly when I try to use all 4 processors, and....
(So I compile the kernel with a # in front of SMP=1)

I cannot get the syslogd to work, a syslogd -d tells us this a lot
of things, and also this:

[ cut and paste ]

logmsg: syslog.err<43>, flags 4, from doc, msg syslogd: cannot create /dev/log:
Called fprintlog, logging to CONSOLE /dev/console

then a lot of other stuff and then:

syslogd: restarted.
Debugging disabled, SIGUSR1 to turn on debugging.
Segmentation fault

[ end of cut and paste ]

It does'nt create the socket (/dev/log) and I have no logging. The files
defined in /etc/syslog.conf are briefly in use, and contains only this

Feb 11 22:56:11 doc syslogd 1.3-3#26: restart.

Then syslogd "dies"

Any ideas? I don't seem to be able to see the trees, probably because
the forest is blocking my view !

/Jens