Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

I think that there is far too much variation in sound cards for them to be
supported in the generic initial kernel.  Perhaps support for whatever the
most typical sound setup might be could be compiled in.  I don't know.
That would only help a subset of new users anyway.  My impression is that
the 'sound industry' needs to arrive at a common protocol before Linux
could achieve generic sound support.  Instead, they climbed in bed with
Mr. Gates.

Meanwhile, we'd be happy to try to help you compile a kernel if you
provide some details as to the "dismal results" you've gotten.

Richard Hall
Network Services
University of Tennessee