Re: Slink, xbase-common and xdm...

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 07:39:53AM -0900, Hogland, Thomas E. wrote:
> Interesting problem - I've upgraded to slink as part of kernel 2.2.1 on two
> different PC's, and I think I goofed on one. When the new X stuff went in
> and asked if I should use my current config files, the PC at work was told
> No - leave mine alone; the PC at home was told Yes - overwrite with new
> ones. PC at work is fine, but PC at home now immediately boots into xdm and
> refuses to let me log in... Won't take root, me, nothing. Tried booting from
> the boot disk I made - slowly boots, then starts xdm :-(...Anyone know how
> to kill this? Even Ctl-Alt-Backspace just restarts it...

I see this thread is quite long by the time I've gotten to it, but one
trick to always keep in mind when fighting with xdm is

<CTRL>-<R>

That tells xdm to stop managing the current X server.  It should get you
back to a virtual console.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   If encryption is outlawed, only outlaws