Re: Gnome and dependencies

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> I also show libglib1.1.5, libglib1.1.6, libglib1.1.9, libglib1.1.11,
> libglib1.1.12 and libglib1.1.13 as well as libgtk1, libgtk1.1.12,
> libgtk1.1.13, libgtk1.1.14 and libgtk1.1.15 as being available.
>
> Are these all independent libraries or are they different versions of the
> same library?  Did the numbering system get changed without being
> reflected in the dependency lists of some other packages (such as
> gnome-admin, gmc, etc.)?

They are a zillion incompatible versions of the same library; it's the
alpha/development branch of glib/Gtk and changes often. So packages have
to depend on a specific one, and when a new one comes out they have to be
recompiled to work with it. This is a disadvantage of packaging alpha
software. Things will settle down when Gtk hits 1.2 (this month, one
assumes).

Havoc