Re: mutt with pgp support?

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 12:08:01AM -0800, Stephen A. Witt wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Chris Frost wrote:
>
> > Does the mutt included with debian (hamm) include support for pgp v5 (or
> > gpgp)?

I'm not sure. Certainly does pgp2 and pgp3 (whatever that means).

> > I'm thinking of switching over to mutt from pine

I've done that, having used postilion inbetween. I like mutt now I'm used to
it, and got a bit pissed off with pine - it was very slow with large
mailboxes.

> > If anyone here has used both mutt and pine, what
> > are the main things mutt offers over pine (besides the license); is there
> > anything which pine does better?

as already mentioned, pine has it's own internal editor. I've you've got
an editor that you'd like to write your emails in though, I think this is
a 'feature' of mutt.

> Does mutt have a nice built in address book like pine?

It has a list of aliases, from which you can select the one you want. I've
not seen anything more swanky than that though.

> Does mutt do the IMAP thing like pine?

Yes. I've not tried it, but I didn't rate pine's IMAP capabilities so mutt
might be better (i.e. quicker).

> Is mutt able to lookup email addresses from an X.500 directory server
> via LDAP?

You can specify the name of an external program to use to lookup addresses
for you. i.e. if you have an external program that can look up addresses from
an LDAP server, you're all set.

I *really* appreciate the message threading you get in mutt for mailing
lists too. That's one of it's greatest advantages for me.

> When I used mutt several years ago, I seem to remember that it was rather
> confusing to configure, whereas pine has a nice built in configuration
> utility with on-line help.

It took me an afternoon of reading the docs to find out what all the possible
options were, and then sitting down and hacking together my .muttrc file.

There are some good example .muttrc files available (linked from the FAQ, I
think).

--
Graham