Re: resc disk not recognized in install

At 11:19 AM 2/4/1999 -0800, Sean Gallaher wrote:

>I am still trying to install Debian on my Compaq laptop using floppies.  When
>I copy the root directory from the rescue disk, everything is fine. However,
>when I try to copy the kernel from the rescue disk, it says "Wrong floppy, use
>the rescue disk".

>I have made several copies of the rescue disk onto different floppies. This is
>after downloading it using ftp to DOS. I Rawrite2 it to a blank, dos formated
>floppy. I checked the directory on the disk, and it seems complete, but I'm
>not sure what all should be on there. I have also tried various labels for the
>disk (i.e. rescue, resc, rescdisk, etc.). The installation program just won't
>recognize it.

>Thanks everyone for your help with my other problem.
>
>SP

To install from floppies, you'll never several (7? 8?) floppies. You need
to download an image for each of those floppies and rawrite2 each of them.
If you're just doing one floppy, you're missing some of the steps.

When you write that you "copy the root directory from the rescue disk",
that confuses me, because it sounds like you're not following the correct
procedure. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying or if
you indeed are not following the correct procedure. Perhaps you could give
us some more detail?