Re: Lightweight Alternative to Mozilla-Firebird

----- Original Message -----
From: "David P James" <dpjames@rogers.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 3:34 AM
Subject: Re: Lightweight Alternative to Mozilla-Firebird

> There's Skipstone, but for some reason it does not appear to be in the
> Debian repository anymore, which is unfortunate since it appears to be
> what you're after - Gecko rendering, uses gtk without Gnome and without
> all the XUL overhead of Firefox and Mozilla. It also has a decent slate
> of modern browsing features - tabbed browsing, bookmark toolbar,
> downloading via wget, configuration of mail handlers, etc. It may have
> been removed since there have been no apparent updates since June 2002
> - just a few months before Phoenix (now Firefox) was first released...
>
> http://www.muhri.net/skipstone/
>
> --
> David P James
> Ottawa, Ontario
> http://david.jamesnet.ca

Hi David,

Skipstone does look good, but it does look like it's a little out of
development at the moment. There's no news or anything since then, so maybe
the developer's had a lack of interest or something.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to stick with a combination of dillo and
firebird at this stage as I really don't like the look and feel of Opera at
all.

Thanks for the mention though, I'll keep it in the back of my mind if it
ever enters redevelopment.

Pete