ypbind (was: Re: X-problems: What do these two apps have in common?)

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:13:13PM +0100, David Baron wrote:

| Feb 27 11:57:27 d_baron ypbind[619]: broadcast: RPC: Timed out.

| ypbind[619] broadcast: RPC: Timed out. I have one of these every 74 seconds.
| This was flagged on google (this time I checked) but no solutions. What is
| it. This is apparently harmless but might as well fix it :-) I think there is
| a bootup message relating to this as well.

ypbind is part of the NIS system.  (NIS is Network Information System,
I think)  NIS was developed in the mid-80's by Sun to solve the
administrative problem of synchronizing /etc/passwd, /etc/group,
/etc/hosts, and /etc/services on many machines on a single network.  I
don't know anything beyond that, but if you aren't using NIS then you
certainly have no need for ypbind and can remove it.  (I don't know
what package its in, though)

HTH,
-D

--
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and