Re: DSL problem (possibly OT)

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 06:06:48PM -0500, Jeff Elkins wrote:

> - Download speed: 201.000 KBits/sec  ( 4 times faster than a 56k modem )
> - Upload speed:     227.000 KBits/sec  ( 7 times faster than a 56k modem )

7x ?

> I now have to fight my way through crap tech support.

I've deal with too many "tech support ops" lately.  /. had an article
link about tech support ops.  It was enlightening. The mantra is
"we don't support that".  They get paid per call.  They have nothing
to do with the product or service you bought.

My laptop blew a main board.  Tech support told me it was my ISP or
that I was too stupid to use a computer.  When I took it in to a service
center, they replaced the main board twice and got it working.

Enough venting about so called customer service.  Maybe the servers are
congested?  When I download .iso with wget, I shop around for a lightly
loaded server.  Maybe this technique will help you isolated your
problem.  Using the ISP test server is no test of course.  Instead,
try to wget and iso from several mirrors.  Maybe you can coordinate with
a friend to wget from the same server at the same time.  Then compare
notes.

On a final note, my DSL service sucked.  Broadband on cable is _much_
better.  YMMV.

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com