Re: knoppix slow

I do not find KDE noticeably slower than Win98. Windows is optimized with icon
caching and other goodies to speed up some desktop operations. Knoppix
detects hardware on bootup and sets up the KDE desktop, after that is not
active.

One thing that will be much slower is any animated application or game that
uses OpenGL hardware rendering (DRI). This has to be carefully, explicitely
enabled and your colleagues graphics card may not be supported. My ATI Rage
36 (mach64) requires a driver be compiled and I have not gotten it to
actually work. So such games on my 575mhz (overclocked) PIII are inoperative.
Such things do work in Windows. Another slower item is OpenOffice which is
Java, loads slowly and works a bit more slowly than MS-Office but the price
is certainly right.

On Thursday 26 February 2004 18:09,