Re: ntp won't work

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:26:32PM -0800, developer@wexwarez.com wrote:
> I was able to get ntpdate to run manually but it only seems to work if I
> open up 123 udp on my firewall.  I modified the ntpdate init.d script to
> remove the -u option which seemed to help when I run that.  But like you
> said shouldn't i be able to run this with the default debian install and
> more importantly without opening ports?

As Paul says, your firewall should be allowing all connections
outbound, and established/related connections inbound; thus you should
be able to open a connection to the ntp server and receive its
replies, without modifying the firewall. It would be unusual to have
restrictions on the outbound traffic, or related inbound traffic, but
if you do, then you might need to change them.

Another point to note is that ntpd and ntpdate don't work together.
ntpd keeps in touch with ntp servers and makes continual small
adjustments to your clock to keep it in sync. ntpdate makes a one-off
contact with the server and yanks the local clock into sync. You have
to stop ntpd before you can run ntpdate. Generally you would run
ntpdate once, when you connect to the net, to sync your clock, then
start ntpd to keep it in sync; if your clock is too far out when you
start ntpd, ntpd doesn't work. It does have an option to force it to
work in that situation, but ISTR there being something flaky about
using that option.

The alternative is chrony, which I don't know about; I use ntpd and
ntpdate because I found out about them before I found out about chrony
:-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons