Re: /mnt created at boot?

On Monday 23 February 2004 11:20 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:03:53PM -0500, Jeff Elkins wrote:
>> I'm working on a system where upon boot the /mnt directory is created and
>> quite a few subdirs underneath as well (floppy,cdrom,cdrom1,etc). Is this
>> type of behavior part of autofs?  I'm trying to turn it off, along with
>> having /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 erased with each reboot...
>>
>> This is a mepis-install, dist-upgraded to sid.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jeff
>
>Can you explain why you want this?

I don't want this :)

This is an install from a Mepis Linux CD. Mepis is a Debian-based live CD
distro and it's quite nice, but some of the behavior is weird (to me) and I'm
trying to tame it back to the 'normal' sid situation I'm used to.

What's happening here is that it creates mount points (cd,cd1,floppy,and many
more) under /mnt. I don't use /mnt. When I rm -rf /mnt, upon reboot they are
re-created. Not that that harms anything, but it's an irritant. I removed
autofs to no avail. I'm still digging through init scripts.

Additionally, entries I create in dev (cdrom,cdrom1,and dvd) are erased when
the box is rebooted. I don't find a /dev/.devfsd file, nor does mount report
devfs.